Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gyeongju in Photos

As Meg mentioned earlier, we spent our long weekend last week in Gyeongju. Gyeongju is the ancient capital of Korea and outside of Seoul probably the most interesting place to visit in Korea. We had a really nice weekend (even though everywhere we went was jam packed). I've posted some photos below:

This is at Bulguksa Temple. Bulguksa is the most popular temple in Korea and is home to 7 national treasures. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site. It was probably as crowded as it gets the day we were there. Being the main temple in Korea, many Koreans visited the temple for Buddha's birthday.

The next three photos are of the lanterns that have been at all the Buddhist temples for the past few weeks. I thought they were really neat. They added a lot of colour to the temples.





The final photo is of Seogaktap. It is one of the national treasures of Korea. It's sometimes known as the "shadowless pagoda." It is across from Dabotap, which is another pagoda that is slightly more popular. I might put a photo of it up later, but it was much more crowded and I don't particularly like any of the photos I took of it. Both pagodas were built around 751. Seogaktap is on the back of one of the coins but I forget which one (maybe the 100 won coin).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how is it I see a shadow being cast by the shadowless pagoda?