Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Remembering Angkor

As the year progresses we seem to post less and less. I've been thinking on over in my head and I've even started to upload some movies to youtube for my next big post. Until I actually get to writing it though, I've decided to post a few more photos from our trip to Angkor Wat. I've finally started to sort through the massive amounts of photos I took.

Meg under one of the coolest trees we've ever seen at Ta Som Temple. Over the years it has become entangled in the gate. Around the Angkor complex there were numerous trees growing through walls or with their roots twisting over and around bricks. We really enjoyed seeing the power of nature. Many of the temples would crumble into pieces if the trees or roots were removed.


Some carvings at Ta Som Temple


More carvings, this time at Preah Khan Temple. The carvings around the Angkor Wat complex were quite spectacular and there seemed to be an endless amount. Each temple seemed covered in elaborate carvings. Some told stories, while others just appeared to be decorative.


Our visit to Neak Pean Temple was fairly quick. It was extremely hot and unlike many of the other temples buried in the trees, Neak Pean had no covering whatsoever. We pulled out our guide book, read about what we were looking at, wandered around, took some photos and headed back for our air conditioned van. Although, it isn't one of the most visually impressive temples, I do remember that it was one of the more important ones. I wish I could remember why. I'll probably have to read through our Angkor Wat guide books again. We saw so many massive temples in our 4 days there that we've forgotten some of the details.


This photo is from our trek up to Kbal Spean. Kbal Spean is a temple located about an hour northeast of the main Angkor complex. Once you get there it's another 40 minute hike up to the temple itself. Though calling it a temple is a bit generous. It's actually a number of rock carvings found alongside a stream. We both enjoyed it immensely. We also enjoyed the hike a lot more than we anticipated as the jungle we trekked through had some fairly impressive trees and vines. This was one of my favourites and so I got Meg to snap a photo (or twenty) of me with it. The jungle was full of trees just like this one.

No comments: