Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Climb in Photos (Part 2)

This is the room where we spent the night (almost typed "slept" but that seems like a bit of a stretch). At the time however, we were thrilled to find somewhere to sleep at all. It was midnight and we had spent the morning touring around Tokyo (seeing the infamous Harajuku girls) before spending 3 hours on trains to get to the base of the mountain and then another hour on a bus to the starting point of our hike. It had definitely been a long day.

I managed to grab about 2 hours of sleep in this crammed room and I think Meg got about 3 and half. I didn't really fit as my legs were too long and when fully extended would knock into the another person's feet. I couldn't really sleep diagonal either as I was crowded on both sides. I think about 14 or 16 people slept in this tiny room (you can see 12 sleeping bags in this photo). Those blue things with the ziploc bags around them were our pillows and they were not at all comfortable.


We got up at 4am so we could see the sunrise and finish our climb to the top. Below is the start of the sunrise. Meg wasn't overly impressed with it, I think she was just too tired and exhausted to appreciate it.


Here we are with the sunrise behind us. As you can see Meg definitely doesn't look awake yet.




There was a little shrine with Torii where we spent the night.


The sunrise at full force. I enjoyed it myself. Meg was too busy finding her dixie cup of coffee.


And here's Meg with her coffee. She still isn't really with it yet. I think the coffee cost $4 or $5 for the little dixie cup.

Tomorrow I'll add the final set of photos. Our final few hours of climbing and our time at the top.

1 comment:

Andrew Patterson said...

Those are some beautiful pics. I really like the silhouettes against that gorgeous sunrise.