Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A New Gow and a New Problem

We got a message from my oldest nephew, Ben, Sunday night on the Wii. He said they were going to the hospital that day. I called my mom and she told me that Sarah was having contractions and they were all getting ready to go to the hospital. I woke up early Monday morning to call again, and by that time (about five Sunday night), Sarah had already had the baby and a fairly easy time, from what they could tell (my mom had seen the baby, but hadn’t seen Sarah yet). He’s 7lbs 5oz and Evan Patrick Farrell Gow (I’m not sure if his last name is hyphenated or not). Brad was elated that the baby came on Father’s Day.

In other news, my coteacher came to me on Friday. She asked when I was taking my vacation this summer, so that they could schedule the dates of my summer camp. That’s when I found out the dates for summer vacation. I mentioned that if I re-signed my contract with the school, I would get two weeks to go home during summer vacation. She said she would look at my contract and talk to the principals.

On Monday, she came to me with a copy of my contract with the part underlined that we had talked about. She brought it to my attention that only if I renew would I be able to have a two week holiday home. I said I was aware, that that was what I was talking about. She seemed a bit confused, but said she would talk to the principal. She returned an hour later to tell me that the principal did not want to renew my contract.

I can’t tell you how strange this is. Most schools will keep any foreign teacher they can, since we’re in high demand over here. Since our conversation yesterday, she has asked a few times if Paul was staying, if I understood what she was saying, and if I was planning on staying in Korea. I think one of three things happened:

1. My co-teacher and I have a rocky relationship. She can’t co-teach with me in class because her English is not good enough. At least once every class I have to correct something she says. Also, I have not hidden my anger over ‘mistakes’ such as the school holiday last week; so, she has recommended to the principals that they find a new foreign teacher.

2. This spring, my school asked me to teach more extra classes than allowed for in my contract. I refused because it was too much, especially when they have refused to provide me with materials (though they have a budget for it). Saying ‘no’ to a superior is unheard of in Korea.

3. My coteacher did not understand me when I said I’d like to re-sign the contract. Re-sign and resign are very, very similar words; and though she should have understood from the other things I said (‘I’d like to stay” and “I get two weeks at home”), she may not have. Again, as part of Korean culture, she cannot admit a mistake like that to me or to the principals.

This leaves Paul and me with three options:

1. He will stay at his school; I will find another school nearby. This is a fairly easy process since there’s a shortage of teachers, and his school will help me find a job (we also have friends who will help).

2. We find jobs in Japan and stay there for six months.

3. We come home for good.

While we figure out what exactly is going on, this is what I can tell you: Since my school will not renew my contract, I will not be permitted to return home this summer.

I have to say, I'm not sad to have only a few weeks remaining with my co-teacher that I do not like. She's been more than a thorn in my flesh these last nine months, and the prospect of leaving her makes me rather happy. However, it does leave Paul and me with some rather difficult decisions. We'll keep you posted as we know more.

1 comment:

Andrew Patterson said...

Wow, that's rough. I hope you guys work something out!